Friends Are Important To Have

IMG_0690_1915

By Kenya

Torin Rush once said, “Making a hundred friends is not a miracle. The miracle is to make a single friend who will stand by you even when hundreds are against you.”

A friend to me is someone you can always count on, and who loves and cares about you. People these days don’t even know what a friend is. Maybe they don’t know how to be a friend because they can’t get along with a lot of people or they’re anti-social. Friends are all over the world, even though people don’t know it.

To be a friend, one needs to know what a friend is. Professor Suzanne McBride of Columbia College Chicago defines a friend as, “someone who is always there for you whether you’re mad, grumpy or really happy.”

Jane Carper, a City Year Corps member at Tilden Career Community Academy, defines a friend as “someone that you can trust and be yourself around no matter what.”

Ms. McBride thinks you should treat friends with respect and love. Ms. Jane thinks you should treat friends with respect and with equal amount of giving take, so one person shouldn’t feel like they are putting in all the work.

Ms. McBride also think friends should go out to eat, hang out, go shopping and go to the movies together. Ms. Jane thinks friends should do whatever makes them happy and feels comfortable no matter what.

Ms McBride said “in order to make a friend you has to be an open person and constantly be available.” Ms. Jane states, “take notice of people.If you see someone who might seem interesting, strike up a conversation.”

Ms. McBride said ”by being patient with each other and being committed to each other, can make a friendship last longer and forever. “

Ms. Jane states, “by being there together through thick and thin keeps your friendship going on. Friends will never give up on each other.”

I was sad and torn up when my mom passed away. I did not want anyone around or talking to me. There were people who saw how upset i was. They wanted to what I was going through and help me out with my problems.

I told them that before, I felt like people are in my life just to mess it up and make me feel even more depressed. Now, I feel that I love them, and I am happy that I met people like them.

I think I am a better person from my experience now because I see how many of my friends care for and love me. That makes me feel special, like my mom is here.

1. Ms. Jane

January 28, 2015 at 7:40 pm

I love this article, Kenya! Your voice is so unique. I miss you. Keep up all of the good work. -Ms. Jane

2. Maddy M

January 30, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Friends are so important to have. They can help you through so much, and you don’t have to repay them. Having an outlet when something horrible happens can be the best thing that ever happened to you. It’s hard, after a loss, to continue on like nothing happened and stay strong. Friends make that so much easier, all they want to do is help you.

3. Taylor Mitchell

February 18, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I believe that this article is very true because friends are all over the world, people think that they don’t have any friends but people really do care about them and eventually they are going to find someone that was destined to be there friend. Great article!

4. Will F

February 18, 2015 at 3:42 pm

What a unique voice! I agree, good friends are important to have.

5. Blair Mannis

February 18, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Friends are really important to have! Knowing that you have a friend to stick by your side in life brings people a lot of relief. Life would be nothing without friends!

6. Etienne N

February 18, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I think you definitely know what a friend is and I bet you are a great friend. Keep up your good work!

7. Katie c

February 18, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Everyone deserves at least one really good friend who is with them threw it all

8. Ellie

February 18, 2015 at 11:31 pm

This entry has a lot of true and important messages. I agree 100% with what Ms Jane said, “Friends will never give up on each other.” There are always going to be rough patches in a friendship but it is important to move past that and get through it. A true friend won’t leave you after a fight. True Friends deserve second chances.

9. Spence

February 19, 2015 at 1:22 am

The key thing to keep in mind is how you feel about your friend on the inside. Even when they are gone, you must keep their memory alive by simply remembering all the times you had with them, and to remind others of that.

10. Kiefer S.

February 19, 2015 at 3:29 am

Friendship is very important in all aspects of life. Friends can get you through anything that stands in your way. Friends are there for you when tragedy strikes, friends are there to help you.

11. Nina G

February 19, 2015 at 3:46 am

Friends are so important when there are times where you are down or sad. Friends can help you with anything! I agree with friends making you happy and comfortable. Without a friend, your life can be really hard and don’t know how to trust or know anything in the world. Where you can hang out with a friend, like traveling to see places, going to the movies and just talking to each other, all help know who you really are and your friends are. Overall, friends will be there for you no matter what.

12. Liam

February 19, 2015 at 5:02 am

You don’t need lots of friends, if you have a really close group of friends who support each other choices and help each other through the bad times.

13. Kevin D

February 19, 2015 at 1:34 pm

This artical really hits home on how its a quality of friends that you have and not quantity of them.