Coming Home

Rasheed(Photo by Krista Wortendyke)

By Rasheed

On June 16 – just a few days after school got out – I found out that my mother bought me a ticket to Missouri to visit my granddad and his family.

I was excited because ever since April 28, 2014, when my close friend Endia Martin died, I’ve been ready to leave Chicago.

I was sick of the violence and wanted to get away from it. I also needed a break from my family. I just wanted to get away from my life.

When I left Chicago, I was so happy because I was ready to enjoy time with the other side of my family.  I looked forward to going to the water park, the movies and going out to eat every day.

But I started to act up and get really beside myself, which was very unusual. I kept wandering off by myself without permission.  The final straw was when I got caught stealing from Walmart.

I was caught and arrested; I really got in a lot of trouble. After I got in trouble, I started to get really home sick, so I bugged my granddad to buy me a ticket back to Chicago.

So I left Missouri, July 16. When I got back to Chicago, it was really boring. I had nothing to do, and I did not have any money.

Every day, I just sleep and call my friends 20 times a day. I started to have second thoughts about going back to Missouri.

Then I found out that some people were having an EndiaWorld FeFe. EndiaWorld is a group of Endia’s friends who refuse to let her memory or her name die. A FeFe is a remembering party.

A lot of us made T-shirts with her picture on them.  We make our fingers into an “E” when we take pictures to show we are thinking about her.

So I told my granddad, “Nawl, I’m not going to go back because I want to attend the FeFe.”  I am looking looking forward to seeing my friends and honoring the memory of Endia.

_MG_7395

1. […] spent most of his summer in Kansas City. After returning to Chicago, he attended a FeFe at 52nd and Lowe for his friend Endia Martin, who […]

• Jerry

February 20, 2015 at 5:53 am

I’m glad that he made a foundation using their hands to make an E. Even though he got caught, everybody deserves a second chance. In this case, it would be him.

2. Taylor M

February 18, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I think this is a very great article. I think that when you put your mind to it you can do anything you want to do. It was smart of you to try to get out of there because of the violence but it was also very smart of you to go back to remember your dear friend.

3. Kate D

February 18, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Everyone has a point in their life where we choose to act out. But it’s good that you realized it and that you don’t think it was something you would do again. It’s also good that you keep your positive attitude because I’m sure that is what Endia would have wanted

4. Andrew

February 18, 2015 at 11:03 pm

That is really nice of you guys to have a party for her and I’m sorry for your loss. This is just what you needed for your summer.

5. Cal

February 18, 2015 at 11:17 pm

I’m glad you found a way to help remember your friend, keep your head and be safe.

6. T.K.

February 18, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend, stay positive.

7. Daria

February 19, 2015 at 12:33 am

I am very glad that you went to the remembrance party for Endia. But running away from your life hurts other people too in your life. You might need a break but you shouldn’t run away from them. Keep your head high and be the best you can be.

8. Clint W

February 19, 2015 at 3:30 am

Amazing, how you can turn your life around and found interest in FeFe

9. Richard

February 19, 2015 at 4:43 am

I agree with you decision because I think that it will help you in the long run.

10. Liam

February 19, 2015 at 5:06 am

To make good choices you have to learn from mistakes either made by yourself or a peer. You have rebounded and become a better man because you realized those things can only hurt you later in the life.