Same Crap, Different Day

untitled-300(1)(Photo by Krista Wortendyke)

By Larry

A few weeks ago, for my assignment I was supposed to interview one of my friends who was on house arrest. On the day that I was supposed to do my interview, I could not because he and most of my other friends were in jail.

They left their houses with drugs on them, then got caught with the drugs or got pulled over while in a steamer (stolen car).

One of my friends was put out of his house, so he’s staying at my house right now. His grandma found some drugs in his room and told him he had to leave. The first place he went to was my house.

Another one of my friends was driving a steamer down 79th and Western when the police pulled him over.  They found out that it was a stolen car. He was on house arrest and probation. The police took the car and sent everyone in the car to jail.

There were 4 people in the car. My friend is still in jail.  I learned all of this from the streets. The streets are always talking.

A few days ago there was a shoot-out near 79th and Western. A few nights later, my friend was walking back to my house after he left a party two blocks down, and the police pulled him over and told him to get in the car for no reason.

He did not do anything wrong. He did as they said. They questioned him about the shooting that happened a few days earlier; he said he did not know what they were talking about.

They said he was lying, and he was one of the suspects that did the shooting. They mostly said that because he was black with dreads. He was locked up for two days.

I think racially profiling is a terrible thing.  If it were a white male walking down the street, the police would not have pulled him over, but they pulled my friend over because he was black with dreads, and I don’t like that.

My teachers are always telling me that I look like a clean-cut, respectable young man, but I know that when the cops look at me, they see a thug.

I can never walk down my street without worrying that I am going to be bothered by the police.  That makes me mad.

1. […] Source: Same Crap, Different Day […]

2. […] Source: Same Crap, Different Day […]

3. Elyse

January 30, 2015 at 6:01 pm

These are some very heart breaking stories. I don’t know what I would do if I had to deal with these situations. I am very impressed with the ways that he handled all of these situations. This is not something I would think a person that age would have to deal with. I am able to walk any where in my neighborhood and not be afraid of whats out there.

4. Ashlynne P

January 30, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I’m sorry about everything you’re going through 🙁 It sounds like a real struggle. I completely agree with you about the stereotyping by the police officers. There is definitely truth to racial stereotyping. I always think that if everybody in the world was blind we would have no choice but to judge people based on their personalities. Racism would never be a thing and I’m sure that black people would be arrested less and maybe even white people would be arrested more. We wouldn’t be cutting anybody loose from their consequences just because they’re white and we wouldn’t be punishing a black person for simply walking out on the street and looking “suspicious”. It’s sad that the world even has problems like this.

5. Gus

January 30, 2015 at 6:04 pm

I agree Larry, police are always racially profiling people based on where they are. But if a white man were in the situation that cause the police to stop they wouldn’t. I was down in Texas with my family down in McAllen, its a city about 5 minutes from the border. Im an Hispanic, so my family was driving down the road a cop pulled us over and asked my dad, he was driving, for his licenses so he could verify he was an American Citizen. But my dad had done nothing wrong. Police are always looking for minority to bust!

6. Landon Kerouac

January 30, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Cops are supposed to serve and protect, right? Then how come people are paranoid when they see them rolling down the street? Your words are truly powerful, and it gave me a new perspective about teenagers that go to Tilden. It’s people like you who can change the world.
    My condolences to you and your friends,
    LK

7. Sarah M

February 18, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Everything that you say rings true and one of the worst parts is that not everyone acknowledges it. Cops are not supposed to fight against the people, but “keep peace” and protect them. However, their definition of protection is corrupt and counter active to what the actual people have in mind. Peace is a concept, but change is real and can be achieved. You are someone who can help achieve that change.
    I’m sorry for what has happened and send my best to you and all affected.

8. Taylor M

February 18, 2015 at 11:16 pm

I feel really bad and am sorry what you have to go through everyday.

9. Ellie

February 19, 2015 at 12:02 am

I am sorry about everything that is happening in your life right now. I bet it is really tough but you seem like a strong man. I agree with your comment about the police not stopping a white man. That isn’t fair at all and you shouldn’t have to feel worried when you see a police it is sad that you have to feel like that because you’re skin color. There is no reason you should be labeled a thug jut because the color of your skin.

10. Jonathan

February 19, 2015 at 2:30 am

These stories you have shared are truly heart-breaking. I don’t relate to you as I am a causation, but I hear about these types of stories all the time on the news. It is crazy to think cops have the power to do that. In my opinion, any officer who does this should be stripped of their duties. Stay strong!

11. Daria P

February 19, 2015 at 3:22 am

Im sorry you have to go through this:( Police officers are supposed to help and protect but all they do is scare us. Your words are very wise and I hope you can push through this. Stay safe!

12. Nina G

February 19, 2015 at 3:36 am

Police officers should not be racist to other people because “they locked him up because he was black”. No one should ever do that because it is not right. In this world, still there are racial problems and judging like that people always blame bad stuff on black people which is not right because they have no idea what there personality is like but they cant figure it out so they just judge them of doing drugs stuff like that. I am so sorry for what you are going through. Overall people should judge black people on bad stuff because they don’t know there personality. People need to meet them and talk to them for they are truly are.

13. Kiefer S.

February 19, 2015 at 3:42 am

Sorry to hear about your friend being locked up, sometimes us kids do stupid things for no reason. It is important that you try to stay out of all the drugs and stay true to yourself. The whole situation with the cops racially profiling your friend is completely wrong and unacceptable, it’s not fair that they arrested him for no apparent reason. I’m sure your friend didn’t do anything wrong and I am truly sorry to hear about everything that you have to go through.

14. Reed T

February 19, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Its horrible that you feel that way while walking down the street. Racial profiling is terrible. Cops shouldn’t be pulling people over and arresting them for no reason. Racism is dumb. Just because your skin color different don’t make you different.

15. Jerry

February 20, 2015 at 5:59 am

I feel really bad about this too. Just because people have different skin colors, doesn’t mean they have to be taken from the police. People really have to stop this nonsense or else it’s going to keep happening for who knows how long.

16. Peggy Wright

April 28, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I read in the newspaper this past weekend about missing black men – the report was referring to the vast amount of black men who are imprisoned or have died, in comparison with the rest of American males. Racial profiling is evil and should be illegal and punished. It’s wrong that the police have this messed up relationship to your community. This country needs to change very badly. Today they are rioting in Baltimore because of police brutality. I can only hope that if we make enough noise that systemic change can result, like it did in the time of Selma when voting rights were finally forced to be allowed for every adult in this country.