My Homie Got Shot

320px-Do_Not_Cross,_Crime_Scene

By Bryan

I was on Facebook scrolling down my news feed on July 20, and I noticed one of my homies had his arm in a cast.

I asked, “What had happened, Bro?” He told me that me had gotten shot. I asked him if was he all right, and he told me that he was good.

When he told me he had been shot, I was like “Damn!” My bro had just gotten shot. I was lost when I heard about Bro.

I was feeling like I could not lose another homie to this gang violence. I think I have lost seven friends to guns, but this year was the worst.

When that girl took Endia from me, I was sick. She was my homie, best friend, partner in crime.

It was crazy when God took her to heaven. I was messed up in the head. She was that light that many people had in their lives. She made lots of people smile just by walking in the room; she was that spark in our lives.

I am sorry, but there is no other way to say this: I feel like it is f’ed up that people kill each other over petty stuff.

I ask myself , “What the heck is the police doing to stop this stuff?”

Sometimes, I believe that they want all the gang-bangers who are out here shooting each other to kill each other until everyone is dead. That way, they will not have to deal with this bull crap anymore.

The solution I have to all this stuff is everybody who has a petty beef with someone else’s gangs, groups, families, schools, etc. should all  have a football game.

I feel this way because football is a contact sport, and that is the only way you can hurt someone, have fun, and not go to jail for hurting someone you do not like.

You can do this as a regular routine,  like every 2 weeks if you have that much hate for people. This way, people would not die; black people would not be in prison; children would have both parents, and our community would be safer.

1. Mindy

July 28, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I hear you. thanks for making me stop and listen and learn. I really like what you wrote and it made me cry, for real. Youth have power to inform and tell the truth like what you are doing. thanks for that. You are a good writer! Be safe.

2. Mindy

July 28, 2014 at 10:26 pm

3. Dr Camilla Larsen

July 31, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Love the idea of a football game to iron it all out!! Continue to come up with alternatives to the violence. Continue to put ideas out there! Hopefully, the will of the majority of people who don’t want the violence will overpower those who do.

4. Dr Camilla Larsen

July 31, 2014 at 6:24 pm

5. A Good And Bad Summer | Tilden's America

August 28, 2014 at 1:39 am

[…] went to parties, went to work and visited my old neighborhood. I wrote an article on how my homie got shot and how they should have a community football game so people can get their aggression out on the […]

6. A Good And Bad Summer | Tilden's America

August 28, 2014 at 1:39 am

7. Sara E

January 30, 2015 at 6:12 pm

I am so sorry for all your losses you’ve had. No one should have to deal with that. I think the football game is a good idea. Every idea you have as an alternative to violence is awesome, each one can make a difference and will bring people who are against violence together. And hopefully will spread to stopping voilence.

8. Rory

February 18, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, the idea of a football game to settle dispute rather than violence makes me really hopeful that one day arguments won’t be settled with guns and weapons but rather with a competitive game.

9. Cal

February 18, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Sorry for your loss of Endia man, I think that the football game would help settle some differences between people. Keep trying to stop the violence and be safe!

10. Amanda

February 18, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I am deeply sorry for your loss. Nobody should have to endure the pain that you did over the loss of your friend. I think that the football game idea is a great way for your peers to let all their anger out without really hurting someone. It could also be very fun! Stay strong!

11. Kate D

February 18, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Bryan, I’m very sorry that people who you care so much about have been taken from you. I myself have not really had that happen to me, and I hope it never does. One thing I do know is that God gives the strongest people challenges because he knows that they will find a way to overcome those obstacles. It took me a long time to figure that out. Stay strong

12. Paul

February 18, 2015 at 4:47 pm

I love that idea. Football is a great way to get rid of anger and it will still be fun for everyone. I really enjoyed reading your post. Keep it up man.

13. Chris

February 18, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I like the idea of football and other sports. they’re great ways to release anger and keep people out of the streets. I really enjoyed this post.

14. Claire G.

February 18, 2015 at 10:37 pm

This article is very eye opening. It gives the reader the perspective of a person who deals with death in their life often. Its very tragic to hear that a person can deal with six plus deaths within a years time. Reading this has informed me of others lives greatly and makes me think about my life in a deeper way.

15. Andrew

February 18, 2015 at 11:07 pm

I wish the police would put an end to shootings too. I’m sorry for your loss and hope peace comes soon.

16. Cal

February 18, 2015 at 11:14 pm

I’m sorry for your loss of your friend Endia, I love the idea of the football game! Keep your head up

17. Ellie

February 19, 2015 at 12:08 am

Football is a great idea. I am sorry about all of your losses and i think this football idea would help reduce that amount of people that you are losing in your life. This violence is very scary and I’m sorry that it is apparent in your everyday life.

18. Brad

February 19, 2015 at 1:22 am

I’m sorry to hear about your friend getting shot! I agree that people should do more activities to take out their anger with, instead of shooting someone.

19. Jonathan

February 19, 2015 at 2:37 am

I don’t think I could deal with one of my friends being killed! But seven??? That is insane! Your idea of having a football game is tremendous. It has so many pros to it and I can’t think of many cons to this idea. Everyone’s goal is to stop this violence, every idea is a good one!

20. Daria P

February 19, 2015 at 3:04 am

Im sorry for all your losses. A person should never go through all of that. Your idea about the football game is great. Everyone would play a friendly game and everything would be fine. Stay stay and continue writing!

21. Blair M

February 19, 2015 at 3:13 am

I’m sorry that you feel that way. I really hope that the gang violence starts to clear up in Chicago. If the police won’t intervene in gun violence, maybe its time for the normal people to take a stand. Do you agree? I know a lot of people are already taking a stand and I think it has made Chicago change a little bit.

22. Clint W

February 19, 2015 at 3:41 am

Nobody should have to deal with losing homies like that. Your completely right about how people kill each other over petty stuff. Ridiculous what this world has come to.

23. Liam

February 19, 2015 at 5:14 am

Great idea, football lets people clear out their anger. It’s a sport that makes you feel like you are a part of something meaningful and special. This can help people because they will finally know that they truly do matter because no one should feel like they are in danger.

24. Kevin D

February 19, 2015 at 1:44 pm

its great that your coming up with ideas to combat violence and alot of people love football so I don’t think you will have a issue with attendance there