You Have to Pick and Choose

By Cordell

IMG_0154

“Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you up there.”

This is a quote I always think about on and off the court because there are a lot of obstacles I go through to make my dream come true.

The biggest obstacle I have is being around the wrong crowd. My coach always tells me, “your surroundings determine your future.”

This is the biggest obstacle in my life because it is hard for me to stop hanging around my friends. These are people I’ve been around for years. I know it would help in the long run, but it would be the hardest choice I ever had.

I think the talent I have in basketball is because of my friends. The reason I say this is because they try they best to make me better because they think I have the ability to make it somewhere in life and take us out of our neighborhood.

I look at my friends as brothers I never had, so if I do accomplish my goal and go to the NBA, I would still come back and give them some of whatever I have for helping me become a great player.

It is like a boomerang: No matter how far you throw it, it will always come back to you. Sometimes when people become something, they forget about the people that helped them get there.

If I ever become one of the best players in the NBA, the first group of people I would give back to and thanks would be my friends and family because it was always blood, sweat, and tears with them.

Sometimes I think how my life would be without them. I don’t think I would be as successful as I am right now without my friends.

The only thing I hate, but also like about our bond, is no matter what the situation is, we will always stand up for each other. I think it’s is a good thing because real friends stand together.

But the bad thing is if anything happens like one of us started fighting, we all fight. Stuff like that would probably mess me up in the long run. But if you have friends that like are brothers or sisters, you know why it’s so hard for me to just choose your life time dream over them.

I haven’t made my choice to choose basketball or my friends. But whatever I choose, I hope I still have my friends around.

1. Mr. Scott

January 30, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Cordell,

You seem to have a lot of passion about basketball, which is awesome. I think balancing which friends are going to help you get better at hoops, and which are going to hold you back is important, because a lot of kids get held back because of their own loyalty to the people around them that are distracting. Loyalty to your friends is important, Cordell, but so is fighting for yourself.

Mr. Scott
    Lake Forest High School English Teacher/Basketball Coach

2. LEO

January 30, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Very down to the heart passage about the the game of basketball and the people who made you who you are. I think it is very important to recognize the people who made you who you are today. Keep working hard to achieve your dreams! Remember, BALL IS LIFE!

3. ethan

January 30, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Basketball is a big commitment, and your friends can help you get through some difficulties. Keep ballin man.

4. Jack

January 30, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Hey my name is Jack and I think you should just follow what you think is right if you really love basketball I think you should find some friends that enjoy Basketball to and try to push you to become a better player. But if you get tangled up with the wrong crowd that just pull you away from basketball I think you should get new ones. But if you like your friends more than you like basketball then you should Join whatever group of friends you want its you world you can control it.

5. Patrick

January 30, 2015 at 6:11 pm

You should always follow your dreams no matter what. If you dont follow your dreams to see where they take you then you may never know how far you can take your basketball career. If the friends you have now are true friend then they will stick with you no matter what.

6. Quinn M

January 30, 2015 at 6:14 pm

The only thing standing between you and your dream is the false story you tell yourself as to why you cant achieve it. Trust in yourself and others to help you as you do to them, and I guarantee you will have a happy ending.

7. Sullivan

February 18, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Just by reading this articular I can tell your a really great person and its good to see that your thinking about your future. If basketball is your dream then go and get it man. Its a big dream but anything is possible with hardwork and dedication. If these are truly your friends then they will stick by you throughout your journey. Good luck with everything man, go ball out.

8. Jonathan

February 19, 2015 at 2:56 am

Do what you want to do in life. Being in the NBA has been a dream your entire life, why stop working toward your lifelong dream now?

9. Daria P

February 19, 2015 at 3:19 am

Do what you want to do. You may have to balance your friends and basket ball but you can always do it. Follow your dreams and have fun!

10. Nina G

February 19, 2015 at 4:17 am

It is based on your decision and what you depend on most. I agree with you “boomerang method” that life cycles around, it never changes but it gets better and you can make it happen. Life is important and you need to use all of it on your dreams and your family and friends. I wouldn’t be wasting my life with no talent or no friends but rather finding one and creating friends is the most important to life. Supporting them and supporting yourself and seeing that you have a good life because you have family and friends that will forever support you no matter what:)