Remembering Endia

photo

By Rasheed

My friend, Endia Martin, was killed April 28, 2014. She was in a fight with another girl and was shot. She was 14. The pain I’m feeling, words and crying can’t express. I never thought in a million years I would see on the news that somebody really close to me died due to gun violence. It just hurts so bad.

We two were close friends in elementary school. We were always hanging together talking, laughing and everything.

I just never expected her to go that far over a petty argument on Facebook that could’ve been avoided. First of all, Endia wasn’t even arguing. It wasn’t even her fight; it was her friend’s fight. Endia was just there helping out her friend.

Another one of our classmates, Tilden Career Community Academy freshman Lexie, remembers finding out Endia had died.

“I was just sitting in class with her the day this all took place, and to go home and see this on the news I was stuck in shock because I was just like, ‘This can’t be true, like was it that serious that she had to kill my friend?’

“I’m just hurt so bad, and every time I think about it. It makes me sad, angry and depressed. I just want her back so bad.”

On April 29, a day after she was killed, a memorial was held for Endia so her classmates and family could share tears and precious memories. Her funeral was May 5.

I remember when Endia and I used to mess with people and make fun of them (not in a harmful way). Endia and I both loved to eat everything that everybody else had to offer, but we were stingy.

Endia will be truly missed by neighborhood friends and classmates and family. She was a very beautiful girl, and I will truly miss her walking into class with the biggest smile on her face. I love and miss her dearly.

1. Peggy in WNC

July 13, 2014 at 8:54 pm

The news about Endia made it back to North Carolina. Her death was so stupid and unnecessary–just a whole bunch of bad decisions which ended a life. Tilden students should not have to try to understand so much death. Thank you for writing.

2. Camilla

July 21, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Rasheed, I am sorry for your loss. I hope that you continue to heal and remember your friend always.

3. Rock The Bells | Tilden's America

July 22, 2014 at 9:09 pm

[…] wore a white zip-up hoodie covered in pictures of her friend and classmate Endia Martin, who was killed in late […]

4. Coming Home | Tilden's America

August 11, 2014 at 10:24 pm

[…] was excited because ever since April 28, 2014, when my close friend Endia Martin died, I’ve been ready to leave […]

5. Endia World | Tilden's America

August 13, 2014 at 2:00 am

[…] men decided to throw a party. This was no ordinary party; this was a party organized by friends of 14-year-old Endia Martin who refuse to let her life be just another sad statistic of the gun violence that is permeating […]

6. Olivia R

January 30, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Rasheed, I’m so sorry that you had to suffer through such a traumatic and emotionally tolling experience at such a young age. Losing someone close to you puts your world on halt and there is a ripple affect of grief throughout the surrounding community. I, personally, could never begin to understand what you and your community went through when it was announced that Endia had passed. Again so sorry for your loss and I hope that you’ve grown as a person from it.

7. Andrew

February 18, 2015 at 10:55 pm

I’m really sorry for your loss and to pass away for something like that is ridiculous. Stay strong and we will remember her.

8. Daria P

February 19, 2015 at 3:11 am

Im so sorry you have to go through this. You are right though, this could have been easily dealt with other then violence. It was unnecessary and stupid and left a her dead. I hope that you continue to deal and stay safe!

9. Smithd139

March 24, 2015 at 10:15 pm

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Be certain to keep writing.